Temple Sinai Congregation (New Bedford, Mass.) records
Scope and Contents
The record portion of this collection consists of board meeting minutes 1971-1978, an incomplete set of Temple Sinai newsletters distributed to members, 1966-1972, some correspondence and a few newspaper clippings. The artifact portion of this collection consists of the cloth vestments from the synagogue.
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
In 1964 a group of more than 40 individuals, members of either Tifereth Israel, Ahavath Achim or Chesed Shel Emes synagogues in New Bedford, established a Reform Congregation, Temple Sinai. In 1968 the congregation purchased the Pilgrim Church at 169 William Street, from which it operated between 1965 and 1977. The building was originally built in 1854 as the Universalist Church (1854-1933), and became the Pilgrim Church in 1933. It is currently home to Gallery X. Rabbis who served the congregation were Lewis K. Littman, Lawrence M. Colton, Philip J. Bentley and Arthur Schwartz.
5 Linear Feet (2 half-size manuscript boxes, one record carton, one oversize box and one folder in map case)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated in part by Theresa Wollison on October 4, 1989 (for records) and September 13, 1991 (for building contents). Seal and minutes donated by Iris Shaw, September 13, 1991 (?). Accession # N-112 and N-95; previously catalogued as C5.
- Temple Sinai Congregation (New Bedford, Mass.) records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description