Club Ponta Delgada collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of photographs, photocopies of newspaper articles, a booklet of bylaws, and two plaques.
- Majority of material found within 1915, 1934-1989
- 1934 - 1989
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access
No known restrictions
Biographical / Historical
Club Ponta Delgada was incorporated in 1915 in Tiverton, Rhode Island as a social, athletic, and music club. The Club held an Annual meeting, and elected a Board of Directors to terms of one year. The slate of officers consisted of President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and three Trustees. Membership was by application. In 1936, The Ponta Delgada Band Club and The Liberty Boys Club joined together and became known as the Ponta Delgada Holy Ghost and Soccer Club of Tiverton, Rhode Island. In 1946, the men’s soccer team reached the finals in the National Open, eventually losing to the Chicago Vikings. In 1947, the team won the National Amateur Cup by beating Pittsburgh. By 1989, the club was called Ponta Delgada Patriot’s Club, Inc., membership was reserved for males over the age of 21, and was dedicated to the promotion of social welfare, charity, and the ideals of patriotism. Several members of the soccer team are in the national Soccer Hall of Fame in Oneonta, New York.
4 Linear Feet (2 oversize boxes)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired by gift from the Club through Joe Sousa. May, 2004 Acc# 04-13.
- MC 58, Club Ponta Delgada collection
- Maura McGurk
- May 2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note