Skip to main content

Polish-American community collection

 Collection
Identifier: MC-098

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of booklets from various churches and organizations that served the New Bedford Polish community. Several items commemorate the St. Casimir Church, and the mission that founded it.

Dates

  • 1925 - 2003

Language of Materials

Materials in English and Polish.

Language of Materials

Materials in English and in Polish.

Conditions Governing Access

unrestricted

Biographical / Historical

New Bedford had a significant enough concentration of Polish-Americans throughout the twentieth century to support several social organizations, and more than one Polish Catholic Church. Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church was established in 1905 on North Front Street in the North End. Later, St. Hedwig's parish was established in the South End, and in 1925 the Northern one divided, forming a mission and eventually, St. Casimir's Church in 1927.

Extent

17 items (17 items)

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Jeanne Swiszcz, 2008
Title
Polish-American community collection
Status
Completed
Author
Judy Farrar
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Claire T. Carney Library Archives and Special Collections, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Repository

Contact:
285 Old Westport Rd.
N. Dartmouth MA 02747 USA