Temple Beth El (Fall River, Mass.) records
Scope and Contents
The collection is divided into three series: Congregation records, 1929-2008; Hebrew School records, 1937-1967; and Sisterhood records, 1955-1991. The collection includes photographs, scrapbooks, souvenir programs, school yearbooks, meeting minutes, correspondence, newspaper articles, newsletters, and artifacts.
- Temple Beth El (Fall River, Mass.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Materials in English, with some Hebrew
Conditions Governing Access
No known restrictions
Biographical / Historical
The idea of establishing a Conservative Congregation in Fall River, for the purpose of strengthening traditional Judaism, began in 1923. In 1924, Edward Adaskin, a successful local furniture store owner, invited fifteen men to his store to begin planning in earnest. The congregation of Temple Beth El was officially organized in June 1924, with 60 charter members, and conducted its first services, on Bank Street in Fall River, in September of that year. In February 1928, the synagogue was destroyed by a devastating fire that engulfed much of this section of the city. The next day, Edward Adaskin again convened a meeting in his store to discuss rebuilding. A new location was chosen on the corner of High and Locust Streets, and the cornerstone was laid on October 28, 1928. By 1941, the religious school, which offered six years of religious training, was founded, as was an Institute of Adult Studies. In 1948 a nursery school was added. By 1945, the congregation had grown to 330 families. In 1952 ground was broken on a temple center addition, funded by the donation of $125,000 from the estate of Jacob Ziskind and a subsequent gift of $50,000 from Albert List. The Jacob Ziskind Memorial Center was dedicated on May 16, 1954.
21 Linear Feet (19 boxes and 11 photo binder-boxes)
Divided into three series: Congregation records, Hebrew school records and Sisterhood records.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Original gift from Temple Beth El, in 1982, accession # F-9. Additions made by Rose Felder in 1982 and Melvin Yoken in 2006 (Hebrew School). Subsequent donations by Temple Beth El in 2008 and 2010. Accession # 08-15 and 11-19.
- MC 75, Temple Beth El (Fall River, Mass.) records
- Maura McGurk
- November 2006.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- Reprocessed with additions by Judy Farrar. Completed January 2011.