Skip to main content

Chesed Shel Emes Congregation (New Bedford, Mass.) records

 Collection
Identifier: MC-025

Scope and Contents

Collection consists mainly of financial and other record books, all but two of which are written in Hebrew.

Dates

  • 1903-1970

Conditions Governing Access

unrestricted, unless personal information is included

Biographical / Historical

The second of the first two orthodox synagogues in New Bedford, Chesed Shel Emes, was incorporated in 1898 with a membership of 23. On March 6, 1904 the Chesed Shel Emes Synagogue, first located at 86 Kenyon Street (later, 92 Kenyon) in the North End, was formally dedicated. Ahavath Achim, on Howland Street, was the other Orthodox synagogue; it was dedicated in 1899. Rabbi Hyman Papkin presided at both. Lenas a Chedic, a third orthodox synagogue, and an offshoot from Ahavath Achim, was formed in 1917.

Extent

3.25 Linear Feet (3 manuscript boxes and one oversize box)

Language of Materials

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

C3.1/2 in the previous cataloguing scheme. Ledgers and daybooks donated by Rabbi Barry Hartman, Ahavath Achim congregation, 1988 (see N50 in CJC acquisitions book); snuff box from Abraham and Ida Portnoy (N70), 1982.

Title
MC 25, Chesed Shel Emes Congregation (New Bedford, Mass.) records
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Claire T. Carney Library Archives and Special Collections, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Repository

Contact:
285 Old Westport Rd.
N. Dartmouth MA 02747 USA