Skip to main content

Jewish Professional Women’s Club (New Bedford, Mass.) records

 Collection
Identifier: MC-020-CJC

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of meeting minutes, correspondence, financial records, newspaper clippings, event programs and flyers.

Dates

  • 1926-1996

Conditions Governing Access

Unrestricted.

Biographical / Historical

The Jewish Professional Women’s Club was founded in 1926 by a group of 12-14 women gathered together at the home of Mrs. Hammon Wollison. Mrs. Jacob Genensky was the first president. It’s purpose, according to the constitution, was to “enrich the cultural lives of members with special emphasis upon our religious heritage; to support endeavors which promote Jewish education and the welfare of the community; to award scholarships to deserving Jewish students for attendance at a school of higher education; and to raise funds and to do all things necessary for the accomplishment of the above purposes.” Membership was open to any woman of Jewish faith who had completed at least 2 years of college or its equivalent. Meetings take place in the home of members.

Extent

6.3 Linear Feet (8 manuscript boxes and one oversize box)

Language of Materials

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated in part by Eveyln Kroudvird, Accession number 99-24

Processing Information

April 2000 by Kyle Carey ’01.

Title
Jewish Professional Women’s Club (New Bedford, Mass.) records
Status
Completed
Author
Kyle Carey
Date
April 2000
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Claire T. Carney Library Archives and Special Collections, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Repository

Contact:
285 Old Westport Rd.
N. Dartmouth MA 02747 USA