Skip to main content

Bradford Durfee Technical Institute newspaper clippings

 Collection
Identifier: URC-023

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of newspaper clippings, most from the Fall River Herald News, pertaining to Bradford Durfee Textile School and later iterations. The clippings from 1910 through February 1928 are pasted into scrapbooks and are very brittle. They should be handled with care. Clippings from February 1928 through 1948 are photocopies of the originals. The original scrapbooks for these years were presumably discarded. There is one gap in the records: 1914-1918.

Dates

  • 1910 – 1948

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

No known restrictions

Biographical / Historical

The Bradford Durfee Textile School was chartered in 1895 and incorporated in 1899; it did not open its doors until 1904, when the first building was completed on the corner of Durfee and Bank streets in downtown Fall River. In 1946 the school name changed to Bradford Durfee Technical Institute and in 1947 the school was authorized for the first time to award the Bachelor of Science degree. The name of the school changed again in 1958 to the Bradford Durfee College of Technology to reflect its status as a college with a 4-year curriculum (non-degree granting schools with less than 4-year curricula were known as technical institutes). In 1960 it merged with the New Bedford Institute of Technology to form SMTI (Southeastern Massachusetts Technological Institute), which was later renamed SMU (Southeastern Massachusetts University). In 1991 SMU joined the 5 campus system of the University of Massachusetts and was renamed University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.

Extent

2.3 Linear Feet (one manuscript box, one oversize box and 2 slipcase ring-binders)

Language of Materials

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

retrospective (some were retrieved from Library Acquisitions); accession # 97-14.

Processing Information

Processed September 2000 by Judy Farrar.
Title
Bradford Durfee Technical Institute newspaper clippings
Status
Completed
Author
Judy Farrar
Date
September 2000
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Edition statement
First edition 2000

Repository Details

Part of the Claire T. Carney Library Archives and Special Collections, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Repository

Contact:
285 Old Westport Rd.
N. Dartmouth MA 02747 USA