Hebrew Ladies Helping Hand Society (New Bedford, Mass.) records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a secretary’s record book of meetings, 1934-1941, a Treasurer’s journal, 1961-1971, ledger, bank statements, news clippings, correspondence and notices related to activities. No meeting minutes were kept from 1906-1924, but there is a complete record of meetings 1934-1941 and loose meeting notes for 1955-1991.
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
Hebrew Ladies Helping Hand Society was incorporated on April 17, 1906 as a charitable organization. Originally know as the Ladies Society, with 10 charter members, its founding purpose was to offer funds and support to needy Jewish community members in the greater New Bedford area. On of its first tasks was to provide a Passover Seder for new arrivals from Europe. Help was provided to the sick, the elderly, the unemployed and the destitute. In the early years the Helping Hand paid doctor bills, and bought medicine, food, clothing and coal. In addition to minimal dues, funds were raised for various projects through formal balls, bazaars, minstrel shows, bridge parties and lawn parties. At present an annual donor luncheon allows Helping Hand to expand its scope in order to present camp and college scholarships to deserving youth and to make contributions to Youth Celiyah, United Jewish Appeal, the Red Cross and more.
2.1 Linear Feet (4 manuscript boxes and one large box)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was donated in 1997 by Lillian Feingold, for many years President of the Hebrew Ladies’ Helping Hand Society. Accession # 99-18. Incorporated with items previously classed as H8.
- MC 16, Hebrew Ladies’ Helping Hand Society (New Bedford, Mass.) records
- Kyle Carey
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description