New Bedford High School collection
Scope and Contents
This collection includes yearbooks, printed programs, school newspapers (The Crimson Courier), and a scrapbook compiled by Barbara Francis. It also includes report cards, photos, and newspaper articles relating to student Evelyn Hendricks, Class of 1937 and the papers of another graduate, Hazel Ramos (probably Class of 1941). The collection is an open series and may be added to at any time.
- 1827-1997, bulk 1937-1951
- Majority of material found within 1937 - 1951
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
New Bedford High School was established in 1827, with John F. Emerson principal, and was housed in a little green schoolhouse on Charles Street. It was abolished in 1829, and for eight years Mr. Emerson conducted a private high school. In 1837 the Public High School was revivified under a mandatory state law, with Mr. Emerson at the head and met in the Elm Street Academy. The structure at County Street between Court and Morgan Streets was built 1910-1912, and in 1972 a new complex was built for the High School at 230 Hathaway Boulevard in the West End, its current location.
2 Linear Feet (1 manuscript box and one print box)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
further accruals may be forthcoming
- New Bedford High School collection
- Chekema Jones
- November 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Claire T. Carney Library Archives and Special Collections, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Repository
285 Old Westport Rd.
N. Dartmouth MA 02747 USA