Catholic Woman’s Club (New Bedford, Mass.) records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains organizational records, correspondence, financial records, meeting minutes and scrapbooks all organized chronologically within the categories. The communications category consists of correspondences and reports between committees within the Club. The talents category is a collection of programs, contracts and correspondence related to the entertainers and lecturers hired by the Catholic Woman’s Club for scheduled events. Future additions to the collection may be forthcoming.
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
The Catholic Woman’s Club of New Bedford was organized in 1918 with the approbation of Daniel F. Feehan, the Bishop of the Diocese of Fall River. The purpose of the Catholic Woman’s Club according to their bylaws is to support, empower and educate all Catholic women in spirituality, leadership and service. The Club organized fundraisers, provided scholarships to young women, hosted lectures and entertainment events for the community, sponsored charity balls, and engaged in activities with the local communities. They were affiliated with the National Council of Catholic Women. At one point in the 1960s membership was around 600 women, so large that they moved their meetings to a hotel ballroom.
13 Linear Feet (27 manuscript boxes)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Lynn Kuczewski on November 4, 2010 Accession # 11-10. Additional records donated by Mary E. Griffin in September 2019, Accession # 20-02.
- Catholic Woman’s Club (New Bedford, Mass.) records
- Christine Guy (Simmons College GSLIS)
- February – May 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script