Polish and American World War Veterans Auxiliary Association records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a record of the group’s activities 1938-2008 documented in five scrapbooks, a number of loose papers, and programs (folders 1-31). Individual items in scrapbooks and folders include photographs, event programs, invitations, tickets, correspondence and newspaper clippings. Collection also includes a commemorative copy of the auxiliary charter, dated 1954, a complete uniform, including blazer, skirt and vest, hat, embroidered patches, white gloves and ties.
Language of Materials
Materials in English and in Polish.
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
The Polish and American World War Veterans Association, Inc. was formed by veterans returning from World War I; membership was limited to honorably discharged veterans who had served in the American Armed Forces. At about the same time another organization was formed consisting of discharged men who had volunteered with the United State service with the Polish Army, which was part of the Allied Forces. In 1923 the organizations combined to form the Polish and American World War Veterans Association. A permanent home was acquired when the group purchased 97 Kenyon Street. In 1931 the state granted it a charter. In 1936 it moved to 1680 Acushnet Avenue with the purchase of that building. During the same year the Ladies’ Auxiliary was formed. During World War II the auxiliary directed its effort towards the war effort, by purchasing bonds and donating funds to various organizations such as the Red Cross and Salvation Army, and sending packages to family members serving in the military. After World War II (1945) veterans formed their own group, and a World War II Auxiliary was formed. In 1953 the groups merged and a color guard was formed to represent them at parades and civic functions; new uniforms were issued, in maroon and white. Later the organization included veterans of the Korean and Viet Nam conflicts.
6.7 Linear Feet (4 manuscript boxes and 3 ledger-sized boxes)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the Council of Women’s Organizations of Greater New Bedford, 2009. Accession # 09-15 and 10-19..
Judy Farrar, March 2011.
- Polish and American World War Veterans Auxiliary Association records
- Judy Farrar
- March 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description